Friday, April 3, 2015

Cheezy Rider - The Copper Penny

Cheezy Rider Food Truck Houston, TX
Truck: Cheezy Rider
Location: Houston Food Park, 1311 Leeland
Date: April 3, 2015
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TheCheezyRider

Cheezy Rider Food Truck - The Copper Penny, grilled Challah, cheese, ham, bacon, tomatoes, and chipotle honey mustard
The Copper Penny - $10

Cheezy Rider has only been in business a couple of weeks. Today was the first chance I've had to try them. No one would be shocked to find that Cheezy Rider is a grilled cheese sandwich truck. Grilled cheese works well on a truck but your menu needs to have some imagination to stand out. Cheezy Riders is interesting, including the oh so tempting Sandwich of Fate. Today I decided to go with one of the their best sellers though and opted for the Copper Penny. A five cheese blend (the menu doesn't tell what's in the blend), ham, bacon, tomatoes, and a chipotle honey mustard. It normally comes on sourdough, but today they were out and asked if Challah would be ok. I like when I get asked if a substitution is ok, not all trucks do that. The sandwich looks like its grilled on a panini press. I like the grill marks. This sandwich is much more subtle than you'd think. The Chipotle mayo is mild and doesn't overpower. The rest of the sandwich works together too. Nothing sticks out though, I'd kinda like something bold here, like some fresh herbs. I liked the sandwich and if I was craving a grilled cheese I think I'd pick this again. Synopsis: A Penny for my thought? Yes I say.

I think Cheezy Rider will have some menu revisions as they iron things out. For example the menu suggests I build my own, but none of the bread or available ingredients are listed? I'd  also like to know what's in the five cheese blend anyway?

Cheezy Rider Food Truck Menu



3 comments:

  1. Loved these reviews! I am fond of eating fast food. Usually I go to local San Francisco restaurants but sometimes I enjoy eating different cuisines from food trucks. If you are looking for inexpensive food then food trucks are the best options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't tell you if the sandwiches are overpriced or not. They where suppose to cater my wedding and they no showed on us! A week before wedding they called and asked if it was ok to push back service 2 hours because he double booked. We thought it would be ok. Trying to be nice and help out a local small business. Then they called day of wedding and said they where going to have to push back an ADDITIONAL hour and a half. We couldn't say no. It's the day of wedding. Then they call 30 minutes before dinner was to be served and canceled because his check engine light came on!! We had to call dominos and they where so helpful once we told them what happened and gave us a great deal on 15 pizzas. By then though half the guest left because they where hungry. Absolutely a joke. I understand your business is totally reliable on your truck. But homeboy, you could have figured something out. Let's run down a few options for next time you screw over some girls wedding. 1. Call a tow truck. I know that could be expensive. But so is the 50 bad reviews my wedding guest are about to give you. 2. Load a grill and a fryer in your personal car and makeshift something. I know it's not the same as your truck, but at least you would have made an effort and no one would have been mad. 3. Call another food truck and ask for some help. That industry is close and one of your buddies would have helped you out. Unless your just as bad a person as you are a business owner then they wouldn't have. Last thing I have to say, next time you cancel on someone, and you will, don't take so long to give deposit back. Don't offer half off your next service, it devalues your food and service. Sorry review was so long. Just pretty upset about everything that happened. If you want an overpriced grilled cheese sandwich, as much as that owner is a douche, try golden grill food truck. Some very good food trucks you should try are Wooker Texas Ranger, Delish, cousins Maine lobster, good dog just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't tell you if the sandwiches are overpriced or not. They where suppose to cater my wedding and they no showed on us! A week before wedding they called and asked if it was ok to push back service 2 hours because he double booked. We thought it would be ok. Trying to be nice and help out a local small business. Then they called day of wedding and said they where going to have to push back an ADDITIONAL hour and a half. We couldn't say no. It's the day of wedding. Then they call 30 minutes before dinner was to be served and canceled because his check engine light came on!! We had to call dominos and they where so helpful once we told them what happened and gave us a great deal on 15 pizzas. By then though half the guest left because they where hungry. Absolutely a joke. I understand your business is totally reliable on your truck. But homeboy, you could have figured something out. Let's run down a few options for next time you screw over some girls wedding. 1. Call a tow truck. I know that could be expensive. But so is the 50 bad reviews my wedding guest are about to give you. 2. Load a grill and a fryer in your personal car and makeshift something. I know it's not the same as your truck, but at least you would have made an effort and no one would have been mad. 3. Call another food truck and ask for some help. That industry is close and one of your buddies would have helped you out. Unless your just as bad a person as you are a business owner then they wouldn't have. Last thing I have to say, next time you cancel on someone, and you will, don't take so long to give deposit back. Don't offer half off your next service, it devalues your food and service. Sorry review was so long. Just pretty upset about everything that happened. If you want an overpriced grilled cheese sandwich, as much as that owner is a douche, try golden grill food truck. Some very good food trucks you should try are Wooker Texas Ranger, Delish, cousins Maine lobster, good dog just to name a few.

    ReplyDelete